Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beyond Method # 5: Social Cataloging and Libraries

I had a blast with this step. I already had an account on LibraryThing but did not use it often. I set up an account on GoodReads and fell in love: GoodReads seems more user friendly than LibraryThing. Adding new books is so easy, as is adding tags, putting books in categories, and so forth. I stayed up far too late one night and wound up adding over 100 books.

I really enjoyed seeing how libraries use GoodReads. Many have established a reading club for adults, teens, or children. Some sites say that when you write a review, you are eligible to enter a drawing for a prize. I'm in a "foreign authors" book group, and GoodReads would be a great place to chat with others if you miss an in-person session. Also, the clubs have a "book shelf" feature, and that would be a good place for my school library to display new children's books.

my read shelf:
Barbara Katz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Children's Books

Some Favorite Adult Books

  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (memoir)
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri