Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beyond Method # 6: eBooks and eReaders

This unit blew me away. I knew a little about all the different eBook and eReader formats, but I had no idea how complicated it is. Plus, we don't know if the current eReaders are a temporary, transitional format or here to stay a while. Both Meredith Farkas and Eli Neiburger, in his 2010 Library Summit presentation, say that libraries are "screwed." The eBook publishers are looking out for their own profits, and libraries get left behind.

I found Eli Neiburger's presentation to be a wake-up call (see video in this post). He says that book collections are going the way of candles and vinyl records - there are some around, but the industries have downsized considerably. He writes that libraries must make themselves more relevant - perhaps by providing work stations for creative projects and more - or we're inscribing our own tomb stones. Before seeing Eli's video, I was considering introducing eBooks this year. Now I see that I need to jump in - after researching and learning.

Project Gutenberg is impressive, but the book I viewed, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, was not physically appealing. The paragraphs and sentences seemed extra long because of the layout. Here's the address: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1342/1342-h/1342-h.htm

1 comment:

  1. I really love all the books of Jane Austen! However, 'Pride and Prejudice' remains my favorite book. Generally, I buy my books from all you can books because they are not so expensive. great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Favorite Children's Books

Some Favorite Adult Books

  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (memoir)
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri