Saturday, July 30, 2011

Beyond Method # 8: Screencasting

I didn't know anything about screencasting, and I am totally smitten. I had fun reading the articles and watching samples of the different applications. I was impressed how adding audio can make a Powerpoint come alive. I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle, but not for long!

I used Screencast-o-matic and was impressed with how easy it was to use. I first watched the demo and then recorded, restarting several times to correct pauses and errors. However, it's late at night and my husband is sleeping, so I didn't include the audio. I was hoping to add that tomorrow, but I'm not sure if you can edit the "free" option.

My short screencast showed how to use our Alexandria online catalog, focusing on how to find out which library the book is in (we have two libraries). I used Edgar A. Poe as an example. Once in the catalog, I showed how to find other books by Poe and other horror stories.

I can definitely see upgrading Screencast-o-matic and using it to teach things like catalog use. The students at our private school all have learning differences, and they need frequent reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Children's Books

Some Favorite Adult Books

  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (memoir)
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri