Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beyond Method #2

I played with customized home pages, both Netvibes and igoogle. After changing my personal home page to Netvibes and creating several tabs, I decided that I prefer igoogle and went back to that page. However, I re-customized igoogle with a calendar, a "to do" list, and several new widgets. The reason I prefer igoogle is largely visual. Lists of today's news are easier for me to read on igoogle. When I used Netvibes "magazine" format, it would only show part of a headline and I would have to go to the website to get the rest. However, I did find Netvibes easy to negotiate.

What a school library can do with a customized home page is amazing. For example, one of my tabs in Netvibes is called "books." Libraries could display new books, post book reviews and lists, offer links to book bogs and websites, and more. One link could be called, "What sixth graders are reading at ____ school" and what students say about books. You could even have a tab for each grade or two. Summer reading lists could be placed on tabs.

My favorite part of a customized home page and tabs is having everything you need in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Children's Books

Some Favorite Adult Books

  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (memoir)
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri