Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing # 23: Summary

a.Favorite discoveries or exercises:
I loved almost everything. I took pride in creating and maintaining my blog. The wiki information was helpful – I plan to create a content wiki for my teachers. The RSS feed information was invaluable; I now keep up with several children’s lit and ADHD websites. I had no idea how easy it was to subscribe. Other useful information included tagging, Web 2.0 perspectives, embedding videos, and certain 2.0 tools such as Nings, Delicious, and LibraryThing.

b. How this program has assisted or affected my lifelong learning goals.
I always wanted to know more about Web 2.0 but never made much time to explore it. This class (and a broken toe) gave me the opportunity to explore and gather curriculum ideas. It also showed me that I can approach 2.0 in a systematic way without becoming overwhelmed. I plan to keep taking classes like this one. Thank you for the wonderful experience.

c.Take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised me:

Losing all my files when I had almost completed the program was the biggest surprise. I called my computer tech person and there was no way to retrieve the files. I learned to save files on my desktop to a local network as I go along. Save, save, save! I also learned that I love blogging and reading other’s blogs. I now see that finding blogs I trust are a wonderful way to keep up with Library 2.0 developments. Finally, I learned how much creativity and innovation is available on the Web; I am inspired to participate.

c.What you could do differently to improve the program’s format or concept.

The written, auditory, and video materials were excellent. My only suggestion would be to find new resources for the few broken links. Another suggestion would be to have a mentoring program (or a hot line on certain days) so people could get help quickly. You may already have these ideas in place.

d.Would I participate in another discovery program.
If I could take the program in the summer, I would definitely participate.

e.Describe your learning experience in one word or sentence:

Empowering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Children's Books

Some Favorite Adult Books

  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (memoir)
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri